I needed to finish projects that had been started. This came together very quickly and without a lot of fuss. I used whatever I had on hand for the straps, the lining, interfacing, embroidery etc. It started out with a wonderful shade of teal burlap which will make for a really nice summer purse. Inspired to follow a pattern from the book "Bags in Bloom" by Susan Cariello. I'm definitely making others from this book.
Sunday, June 22, 2014
Saturday, June 21, 2014
water-colour like effect and I wanted to remember it, so I make
these little notes to myself.
Posted by Joanna Olson at 4:43 PM
I may be in danger of using that title more than once.....Here is the front half of my Alabama Chanin inspired sewing project. A simple sleeveless top with a scalloped hem. It actually took less time than I anticipated. I have prepped the back half now and I'm about to start the hand stitching. In order to proceed with this project I made an unembellished version to see how I liked sewing it all entirely by hand and also made a half dozen samplers to explore and practice the various embellishments and appliqué possibilities. I do like the hand stitching part of it.
Posted by Joanna Olson at 1:13 PM
Wednesday, June 11, 2014
As I was cleaning up the photos from my camera, I found this image of a pillow completed this Spring. The centre panel is a hand painted bird on canvas with thread sketching appliquéd to a canvas back with more hand painted leaves. A few velvet leaves were added. The side panels are
raw silk and dupioni silk. I've done several of these pillows now in Fall tones with bird motifs and
enjoy the process and the outcome so much, I will definitely do more with different subject matter.
Posted by Joanna Olson at 7:20 AM
I have laid out the side panels for the second layer and am basting them together. Yesterday I stencilled the design using fabric paints and heat set it with an iron. Next will be to cut this layer out and then I can continue with the hand stitching around each stencilled element.
Before I got this far, I made a half dozen 11" x 15" samplers with the variations of embellishment that can be worked into this type of negative appliqué. Then I made an unembellished version of this pattern even hand stitching the seams and once I accomplished that, I felt encouraged to proceed.
In my previous post about starting this project I had a lovely heather coloured cotton jersey on the table but decided to keep that for a dress. This top will be a safer entry into this type of sewing project and if I succeed I'll use that fabric without fear of it not coming out to my liking.
Posted by Joanna Olson at 7:15 AM